MMO Fam About MMOFam Suggest MMORPG Networks
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Flyff Home Flyff Wiki Flyff Guides Flyff Market Place Flyff Gallery Flyff Forums
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Register
Arcade
Gallery
Contact Us
Forum Support
Go Back   Flyff World > World Community > Off-Topic Lounge

Notices

Tsuchy

Default Do you use the e-brake/parking brake everytime you park? - 08-29-2009, 05:09 PM
I was wondering about this for awhile, i thought that it wasn't really necessary to use my parking/emergency brake every time i park on a automatic. Every other time when i go drinking with my friends i end up being the sober driver home, and like a few times now i notice all my friends use you there parking brake. Well i only started noticing it when ive drove like a few blocks and hear a loud noise, to finally realize the parking brake is still on. I personally don't like to use the parking brake myself on automatic b/c once i shift into park the car is in park. Imo i think it is more necessary on a manual rather than automatic.
The only time i feel when i need to use my parking brake is when im on a hill and the incline is very steep

Do people feel safer when the parking brake is on?
Is it really necessary to do it on automatic ?
Sivert

Default 08-29-2009, 05:24 PM
My French teacher once told me that in France you shouldn't put those on because it was normal for other drivers to push your car for better parking space. It could be true.
Alexithymia

Default 08-29-2009, 05:39 PM
You are -supposed- to use your e-brake in automatic's, but A LOT of people don't. I don't either. But my dad owns a manual and he uses the e-brake every single time.

Last edited by Alexithymia; 08-29-2009 at 05:39 PM.
blinkyky

Default 08-29-2009, 06:10 PM
san francisco tickets you for not using ebrake. if you park on a hill you need to turn your tires toward the curb too. manual cars you obviously need to put it all the time. automatics it probably won't matter since the park gear does has the same functionality. i do by habit though, even on an auto.
Kilconey
Oreo Monster

Default 08-29-2009, 06:42 PM
I use it by habit and I drive an automatic. I was taught you should use it ever time you're on a hill just as a back up measure, but I just use it anyway.
ErdeKaiser

Default 08-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Whenever your vehicle is at an incline while in park it's putting pressure on your transfer case, even a small incline can put alot on it. When you notice cars that can be rocked back and forth quite a bit while in park it's either from being left in park while at incline or putting adverse pressure on the transfer case/gearbox by burning out or towing excessive weight.

If the car is sitting level, or close to it, not using the ebrake is fine, but I'd say any incline greater then 5 degrees needs the ebrake. The correct way to use it is to put your car in neutral with your foot on the break, apply the ebrake, and then put it in park. This way the pressure from the incline is resting on your rear breaks and not your transfer case. If you put the ebrake on after you've already put it in park and took your foot off the brakes it's not helping anything other then if you have massive failure and your parking brake interlock gear goes out, then your car would roll freely. Also an added benefit of doing it the correct way is it's much easier to get your vehicle into gear on an incline then if you wait to put the ebrake on, or if you don't use it at all. Manual transmissions don't require that you put the ebrake on to park, you only need to leave it in the lowest ratio gear (either first or reverse) as it would be extremely difficult to roll a car while in its lowest gear.
BBRS

Default 08-30-2009, 06:44 AM
I very rarely use it, because it's really unneccesary if you're on a straight or on a slightly leaning road. Just put it in (P) or first gear and the car won't move because you're in "a gear" and it takes quite the effort to move the car if it's in gear. But when it's a big hill or slope then ofc I use it.
Aidan
Hello Kitty Lover

Default 08-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErdeKaiser View Post
Whenever your vehicle is at an incline while in park it's putting pressure on your transfer case, even a small incline can put alot on it. When you notice cars that can be rocked back and forth quite a bit while in park it's either from being left in park while at incline or putting adverse pressure on the transfer case/gearbox by burning out or towing excessive weight.

If the car is sitting level, or close to it, not using the ebrake is fine, but I'd say any incline greater then 5 degrees needs the ebrake. The correct way to use it is to put your car in neutral with your foot on the break, apply the ebrake, and then put it in park. This way the pressure from the incline is resting on your rear breaks and not your transfer case. If you put the ebrake on after you've already put it in park and took your foot off the brakes it's not helping anything other then if you have massive failure and your parking brake interlock gear goes out, then your car would roll freely. Also an added benefit of doing it the correct way is it's much easier to get your vehicle into gear on an incline then if you wait to put the ebrake on, or if you don't use it at all. Manual transmissions don't require that you put the ebrake on to park, you only need to leave it in the lowest ratio gear (either first or reverse) as it would be extremely difficult to roll a car while in its lowest gear.
Um..many automatic transmissions won't let you take the keys out of the ignition unless the car is in park...So I guess that tip just went out the window for parking.

It's cool if you're waiting on someone though.

Personally? I use it on higher inclines when parking. Other then that, nope.
ErdeKaiser

Default 08-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Um, you don't have to have the car off or in park to engage the parking brake. Just stop where're you going to park, put on the parking brake, then put it in park and turn the car off. Dunno what you're trying to prove there?

I basically lived in an auto shop for eleven years, I know how an automatic transmission works.
Fireflx
Rei Hearts Me

Default 08-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkyky View Post
san francisco tickets you for not using ebrake. if you park on a hill you need to turn your tires toward the curb too. manual cars you obviously need to put it all the time. automatics it probably won't matter since the park gear does has the same functionality. i do by habit though, even on an auto.
:O
ANOTHER SAN FRANCISCAN?!

On Topic: I always use it. Particularly for the reasons blinkyky stated.
« Flyff World > World Community > Off-Topic Lounge »