MMO Fam About MMOFam Suggest MMORPG Networks
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Flyff Home Flyff Wiki Flyff Guides Flyff Market Place Flyff Gallery Flyff Forums
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Register
Arcade
Gallery
Contact Us
Forum Support
Go Back   Flyff World > World Community > Debates

Notices

Bo375

Default 02-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
People talk about animals in captivity but I bet a few of you have had pets at some point. I know they're often hand raised from birth and stuff so it's not the same as keeping a killer whale in captivity but that wasn't always the case, they used to be wild animals like anything else and if a dog attacked/killed someone there's a good chance it'd be put down.

Animals are at the end of the day animals and giving one species special treatment over another is kinda silly if you ask me. It's the same as people QQing over people eating dogs/cats etc.
Good point, but I still think the Killer whale shouldn't have been there in the first place.
FruityPebbles

Default 02-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Debate rules please.

Point taken though, and although I'm in general against the death penalty but there are cases were I would support it for humans too. Although I think it's fair to say as humans we should be putting human lives first, yes it may sound harsh and animal rights protesters would have a fit if they read that but I'm sure none of you would be too happy with that whale if it killed one of YOUR family members and those people were sure a member of someone's family. Killing the whale won't make it go away but it's no different from wanting a murderer's life to be ended.
oh oops, I thought this was offtopic--my bad

and yes, it is different than wanting a murderers life to be ended; for one, humans have a conscience. as far as I am concerned, most animals do not. humans know what they're doing and whether it's socially/morally "wrong" or "right". people took a natural, wild animal from its home and stuck it in a glass cage, teaching it to do tricks. clearly, the animal doesn't get paid; it can't really spend money, can it? the animal gets no benefit at all; no matter how nice the people are to it, it is still, essentially their "plaything". and it's not their's to keep.

so if that animal flips out and ends up killing one of the people, you can't really be like "WOW LEARN TO CONFORM TO WHAT IS SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE YOU FUCKING WHALE" and then try to kill it.
Kookamunga

Default 02-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Killing the whale won't make it go away but it's no different from wanting a murderer's life to be ended.
Not quite!
It's perfectly normal to be angry with another human for killing one of your family members, but a KILLER WHALE?
Animals, for the most part (and I'm talking about animals other than humans), kill for food or self-defense. Who would actually think 'goddamn that whale killed my sister, that asshole needs to die before he becomes a serial murderer'?
You can't expect a whale to have a conscience or be accountable for his actions/sins, so it's not reasonable to want the whale to die for what he did.

But anyway, I don't know if it's hard for whales who have lived in captivity to go back to the wild, but even if it is, it's a far better option than killing it, zzzz. Reminds me of when that tiger in Vegas attacked his trainer. Is a predator attacking people really that surprising?
Andhotiel

Default 02-28-2010, 05:00 PM
I also agree that the whale should be set free. She won't kill humans in the ocean.

Edit : Oh and also the person died because her long ponytail got stuck into the whale's teeth.

Last edited by Andhotiel; 02-28-2010 at 05:53 PM.
EbilDays
Super Saiyan

Default 03-01-2010, 04:27 AM

I don't think it should be set free because that could be just the same as a death sentence for the whale. Does the whale know how to hunt for food? Does the whale know what kind of foods it can and can not eat? Does the whale know how to defend itself or find shelter. It is easy to say set the whale free but freedom in this case may end up just being a different and more harsh form of putting it to death. I would just rather see them move the whale to a zoo or aquarium if he is not a danger to other animals.

Warm

Default 03-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Quote:
People talk about animals in captivity but I bet a few of you have had pets at some point. I know they're often hand raised from birth and stuff so it's not the same as keeping a killer whale in captivity but that wasn't always the case, they used to be wild animals like anything else and if a dog attacked/killed someone there's a good chance it'd be put down.
Cats, dogs and other common pets have been domesticated for thousands of years. You're right, there's a huge difference.

Quote:
Animals are at the end of the day animals and giving one species special treatment over another is kinda silly if you ask me. It's the same as people QQing over people eating dogs/cats etc.
If anything warrants special treatment then its them being a highly endangered species. I don't care if the animal wasn't capable of surviving by itself after being rescued or whatever, I'd rather it died in the ocean than spend its whole life a captive. The fact that it sees its trainers as enemies says enough about how the whale views the situation.

....I do rage when people complain about dogs/cats/horses being eaten. What the hell do they think they eat on their bread everyday? ''Mooo mooo. Oink Oink. BUCKAH BUCKAH'' Fools.

EDIT: Sort of off topic, but my stance regarding wild life is such that I would sooner kill a human than an animal. I'll admit it's a bit extreme. [Not in all situations of course. You can negotiate with a mass murder, but not with a Lion. And food. ]

Last edited by Warm; 03-01-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Kilconey
Oreo Monster

Default 03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbilDays View Post

I don't think it should be set free because that could be just the same as a death sentence for the whale. Does the whale know how to hunt for food? Does the whale know what kind of foods it can and can not eat? Does the whale know how to defend itself or find shelter. It is easy to say set the whale free but freedom in this case may end up just being a different and more harsh form of putting it to death. I would just rather see them move the whale to a zoo or aquarium if he is not a danger to other animals.

Well, they did say it was taken into captivity from the wild, but I don't know how old the whale was when this occurred, so to speak. That being said, the whale itself is probably more used to its natural environment and the ability to hunt for food, and not entirely accustomed to being hand fed at select hours of the day.
Andhotiel

Default 03-01-2010, 12:41 PM
But why punishing the whale when it's not its fault anyway? The lady had a 3 foot long ponytail and it got stuck in the whale's teeth! How is that the whale's fault?! If any it's the lady's fault for keeping a ponytail free in water like that without a helmet or something to keep it in order.
EbilDays
Super Saiyan

Default 03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Slick View Post
... It's a killer whale...
Well no duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilconey View Post
Well, they did say it was taken into captivity from the wild, but I don't know how old the whale was when this occurred, so to speak. That being said, the whale itself is probably more used to its natural environment and the ability to hunt for food, and not entirely accustomed to being hand fed at select hours of the day.
Yeah but depending on how old the orca is and how long they have had it the orca maybe more use to seaworld then the wild. I am just saying that a very nice zoo might be the best place for the orca. Somewhere where it (is it a male or female) does not have to do tricks for food and still live close to a setting it would find in the wild. I think it is just plain foolish to say that it is better for it to die free. The orca does not want to die it wants to live on its own terms. People saying set it free even if it will die are no better then people wanting to put the animal down. If we kill it or set it free to die then people still have done something to cause the death of the animal.

Yoruichi
FilipinoRutiene of the Year

Default 03-01-2010, 06:20 PM
It's been argued that domestication of an animal is a process that goes through several generations. While there might be some signs of nonviolent aggression to humans, this type of behavior needs lots of generations to develop. There are also theories whether domestication or completely tolerance or apathy of human presence is either naturally, or artificially selected.
« Flyff World > World Community > Debates »