MMO Fam About MMOFam Suggest MMORPG Networks
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Flyff Home Flyff Wiki Flyff Guides Flyff Market Place Flyff Gallery Flyff Forums
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Register
Arcade
Gallery
Contact Us
Forum Support
Go Back   Flyff World > World Community > Debates

Notices

BloodRedAngel

Default How important is political correctness... - 03-10-2010, 01:58 AM
...in today's society? I imagine there's going to be a range of views depending on where you come from and how strongly it's enforced in that place. Here in England, political correctness seems very important (they're not "Christmas lights" any more, they're "festive lights") and yet so very unnecessary. There are some examples which are really extreme and prevent a handful of people being offended at best. Without trying to answer my own point too much with my own opinion, what I'm asking is:

- How important is political correctness in today's society?
- Are we advancing or degrading as a society by accepting the cultures of others and helping them integrate to our society with political correctness?
- Are we sending the correct message with our acceptance or intolerance to PC?
- Has PC gone beyond how much is/was reasonable?
- How much PC is the "correct" or "reasonable" amount, in your opinion?

Don't forget to add where your home country, I'm curious as to how this affects countries that aren't USA/England for those who can comment.

I, personally, don't care much for political correctness. It's necessary to keep people in line and make sure high-ranking people don't cause offence to entire communities. None of our history is going to be lost by the acceptance of other races and it can only make us culturally stronger, in moderation. As to whether we're sending the right message with PC, unless our message is "we're a weak nation", the answer is "no". A correct amount of political correctness is enough to ensure words such as "n*****" aren't used as anything more than friendly gestures, where appropriate. We've passed the point of "reasonable" political correctness though when the renaming of products from their respective religious standpoints was put in place.
Arcon

Default 06-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Political correctness has become outrageous. We can't possibly make everyone happy, which is what political correctness is attempting to do. When people jump down someones throat for describing someone as "black" instead of saying "African-American" it's infuriating. Just because they called them "black" in no way means they are racists, as most of those "politically correct" minded people would have you believe. They are just describing someone. Is every "African-American" going to describe white people as "Caucasian" now? Doubt it. I can understand using political correctness at certain times or for tricky situations in which using the wrong words can have drastic impacts on whole states or countries, but to make the everyday lay person use it all the time is just absurd.

http://www.averyhillarts.com/rrh_pc.html
Read it. Little Red Riding Hood rewritten for political correctness. It's pretty shitty. Not that the story was great to begin with.
« Flyff World > World Community > Debates »