MMO Fam About MMOFam Suggest MMORPG Networks
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Flyff Home Flyff Wiki Flyff Guides Flyff Market Place Flyff Gallery Flyff Forums
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Register
Arcade
Gallery
Contact Us
Forum Support
Go Back   Flyff World > World Community > Debates

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
MStevens24
 
Default 07-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
Well considering the bible tells us that God created all life on earth just as it is now, and Darwin's book tells us that life on earth didn't start exactly how it is now and it evolved from other things to get where it is now, technically that's disproving the Christian theory of how life came to be on the planet. Especially since there is an overwhelming amount of evidence for evolution. But you're right, it doesn't disprove god. But then again, Christians can't really have only half the story right and still say you're 100% right. It's kind of an all or nothing deal.
The only thing evolution has on the bible is if you take the literal meaning of genesis into account.

I find it funny that evolutions always point to that.

As Ive said a lot on these forums, Most Christians dont look to God as a answer to how life was created.

Evolution does not prove that there was or was not a "God"
  #82  
Dr. Slick
Debater Of The YearDrama Queen Of 2010
 
Default 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Evolution only points to that because it's the larger other thought of where we came from.
  #83  
nips
Devil Of The YearJoker Of The Year
 
Default 07-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresAidan View Post
Someone once pointed me to an article debating the idea that since the bible has been translated from languages to others, meanings of some words may have been warped.

An example, the article suggested the original wording for "day" did not mean a literal day. It more-so meant a "period of time". It's possible that the seven "days" could just be seven "periods". This means it could be possible that the bible can fit into the evolutionist theory of how the world might have come to be. When we replace "day" with "era" it becomes much simpler.
The talmud says that God's days aren't "our" days, so yeah
  #84  
SilentPredator
Screen Reviewer
 
Default 07-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Slick View Post
Evolution only points to that because it's the larger other thought of where we came from.
Well, technically its the Big Bang Theory, but I see your point.

But what you and Aidan said regarding my previous post was spot on. Most christians have come to some knowledge that there is more than just a literal comprehension of the bible, most have discovered that the bible that is in front of them is not the same as the one that was originally written in much earlier times. I can understand how it would happen though, people have an agenda, and then have this desire to rewrite the bible in their own "version", and since we have multiple versions out now, it isn't surprising that so few of them would actually be spot on with the original text. I wonder if it's even possible to read an original text that was transcribed perfectly.
  #85  
Dr. Slick
Debater Of The YearDrama Queen Of 2010
 
Default 07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
No. Big Bang Theory is where EVERYTHING came from, not just us.
  #86  
SilentPredator
Screen Reviewer
 
Default 07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Well the Creation theory also does that but it's neither here nor there.

I feel like this quickly side tracked from the original point of the thread though. The question "Is there such thing as a god?" does not necessarily invoke a religious debate about whether or not a certain religion is correct or not; I think it deals primarily with whether or not there is something greater than what we know, something that can transcend reality. So far we've only doubted the existence of certain, already construed gods, and we don't take into account the idea of any other conception of what could be a god and thoughts that could accumulate from there. So with that in mind, I think the topic should change a little bit from religious debates to actual philosophical endeavors. Or a thread kill. >:
  #87  
Arcon
 
Default 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPredator View Post
Well the Creation theory also does that but it's neither here nor there.

I feel like this quickly side tracked from the original point of the thread though. The question "Is there such thing as a god?" does not necessarily invoke a religious debate about whether or not a certain religion is correct or not; I think it deals primarily with whether or not there is something greater than what we know, something that can transcend reality. So far we've only doubted the existence of certain, already construed gods, and we don't take into account the idea of any other conception of what could be a god and thoughts that could accumulate from there. So with that in mind, I think the topic should change a little bit from religious debates to actual philosophical endeavors. Or a thread kill. >:
Sorry, I didn't mean to be taking jabs at Christians and say their religion is wrong. But people of any religion can't preach one thing, then when times change, mix up the story they are preaching to fit in with the current view of things. To my point, a few hundred years ago people believe the bible through and through. The bible was right, if you believed otherwise, you were wrong. All followers accepted the 7 day creation story as fact. Now fast forward to present day and people are saying "Oh, the meanings of words were misunderstood and misinterpreted when the bible was transcribed into other languages." Cool, possibly. But why is this just now becoming a huge thing for people of all faiths to flock to when doubt about their religion is brought up?

Also, did any of you check out my other post about NASA finding amino acids (the building blocks for what we call life) on a comet cruising aimlessly through space? What does your bible say about that? Nothing. If god created life, even if it was through evolution, why does it say no where in ANY holy book, that he created life on other planets too? You'll tell me he created the universe as an answer, huh? Ok, lets say he did. Then why does it say nothing about other planets with life in ANY holy book? Did whatever deity you believe just forget to mention that to the original writers of whatever holy book you follow? I mean, the original writers of the bible write everything as a first hand account, so they must have been there to see what was going down. Why would he leave that huge piece of info out?

Why would any god not give us absolute proof of his existence? Apparently all deities just want the people of the world to praise and worship them, so why not give us all proof and they get what they want. Every deity knows the consequences of what happens if you don't believe in them, so they aren't merciful if they are willing to send you to a "hell" for eternity for not believing them.

If God is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he able, but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is both able and willing, then when did evil come? If he is neither able nor willing, then why call him a god?
  #88  
SilentPredator
Screen Reviewer
 
Default 07-20-2010, 10:34 PM
You know, if you want to say you aren't trying to take jabs at Christianity, you can at least wait until the next post to contradict yourself. I'd have no problem debating this with you, but it's not the time or place to do that. This thread is NOT a religious debate, as the first post clearly states. But since we are ignoring the first post, I guess I can go ahead and say that "God does whatever he wants because he is omnipotent and etc, etc."

But I'll humor you a little bit.

Quote:
Why would any god not give us absolute proof of his existence? Apparently all deities just want the people of the world to praise and worship them, so why not give us all proof and they get what they want. Every deity knows the consequences of what happens if you don't believe in them, so they aren't merciful if they are willing to send you to a "hell" for eternity for not believing them.
A god would not give absolute proof of his existence when the world tries so hard to deny any form of plausible proof to begin with. If he really did breathe this bible into existence, which is his actual word, and mankind denies it, what more should he do? We've given him nothing, why should he return the favor? Because he is omnipotent and omni-benevolent? I don't even think the bible was the first to use these terms with god. I could very well be wrong, but from what I remember, René Descartes or St. Augustine was the first to use them.

Quote:
If God is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he able, but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is both able and willing, then when did evil come? If he is neither able nor willing, then why call him a god?
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Epicurus is hardly a man to follow suit, to be honest.
  #89  
Suinia
Game Reviewer
 
Default 07-20-2010, 10:36 PM
It seems a lock is always what results in these threads. :/

As stated this thread has probably been open far longer than it should have as well as multiple off topic instances and so on and so forth.

As well as a few notable requests to close the thread.

As such this thread is now locked.
Closed Thread
« Flyff World > World Community > Debates »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.