MMO Fam About MMOFam Suggest MMORPG Networks
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Flyff Home Flyff Wiki Flyff Guides Flyff Market Place Flyff Gallery Flyff Forums
Flyff Flyff Flyff
Register
Arcade
Gallery
Contact Us
Forum Support
Go Back   Flyff World > World Community > Debates

Notices

Suinia
Game Reviewer

Default Imposed Beliefs - 01-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Does one nation, culture or even group of people ever have the right to impose their own beliefs on another culture, nation or group of people?

For instance:
Is it ever justified for one religion/system of beliefs to assimilate another?
If so, should this be allowed without limits?
If not, under what circumstances should it be allowed?

Note: This is not a debate about the validity of any particular system of beliefs. Just if it is justified for one group to take over/completely destroy/permanently alter another group's system of beliefs.
SilentPredator
Screen Reviewer

Default 01-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suinia View Post
Does one nation, culture or even group of people ever have the right to impose their own beliefs on another culture, nation or group of people?

For instance:
I don't think its right to force someone else to adhere to your own beliefs, but I think, if you disallow people to state what they believe, it would inadvertently have you doing the same thing that they were trying to do in the first place. Its just another mode of hypocrisy really. You shouldn't be allowed to necessarily 'force' your beliefs on someone else, but you should be allowed to say what you think. Regardless if it has some religious theory behind it. If your only intention is to avoid offending people, then you're in for it... because you will always offend someone with your actions. =/ Just the way of life, really.
Sinn

Default 09-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, this can depend. If a culture is violent, aggressive, etc., and innocent people are being put in harms way out of respect for culture, I can see the justification for stepping in. However, this must be done in a non-invasive way if it can be prevented, as you cannot force one to follow a belief system.

A tricky case of this is the US involvement in the Middle East. Many hate us for our intrusion, and many of their points are justified. However, I recognize the fact that something should be done in the prevention of utter chaos.
aaerdan
Movie Mogul

Default 09-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes and no.

IMO, the difference is in the degree.

The most basic of rules, that one is free to swing one's arm until that arm touches another's face, must apply.

Simply put, IMO, no nation, culture or group of people has the right to impose its beliefs on another culture, nation or group of people.

Up to the point when not doing so threatens, or is believed eventually result in, a clear and certain threat, to the nation, culture or group of people.

Hence being able to co-exist is vital, and naturally some form of compromise is important.

Co-existence is all about giving and taking.

Problems start cropping up when:

- The strong believe "why should I compromise? I am strong!"
- The weak believe "how can I compromise? I am weak!"
fabricek
Writer Of The YearGreeter Of The Year

Default 09-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suinia View Post

For instance:

Note: This is not a debate about the validity of any particular system of beliefs. Just if it is justified for one group to take over/completely destroy/permanently alter another group's system of beliefs.
I will make a *real* post later, but you have to know that it WILL end up as a flame war about religions...
Sutara
Hello Kitty Lover

Default 09-28-2010, 05:52 AM
It depends. To force a whole religion down anyone's throat is wrong. Though I find it fine to force tolerance and respect of religions on everyone. Of course that's hard to *force* but some people will be zealous and volatile no matter what.
TwilightRose

Default 09-28-2010, 12:33 PM
No. It's ok to tell someone or teach someone about a religion, but forcing it down someone throat is wrong.
If it was respect, then kinda. I don't expect my friends to have my religion, but they have to respect my religion. (Bleh, crappy example, but I hope you see what I'm talking about)
MStevens24

Default 09-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Depends on the situation.

If a religion for example, states that it is ok to do things that are generally considered wrong then it is ok.

We in the world impose our beliefs on people more then you guys and others here realize it.

If we didnt we would have sickos marrying 12 year old girls and forcing them to have sex.

We would have mass convents of people, ritual killings, rape, murder, ect...

All in the name of a "God" or deity. And these things still do happen in third world countries all the time.

The overall and most correct statement on the issue would be no it is not ok to impose your religion on other people, but it is ok to impose the collective morals/beliefs on other people as long as those morals/beliefs are for human rights and not for religious purpose's.
Longknife

Default 09-28-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't think there's a general answer; I think it depends on the culture.

I see each culture like a person. What are stereotypes? The personification of a culture, so instead of seeing it like telling hundreds of German to stop eating Bratwurst, I see it no different when it's just telling Hans to stop eating Bratwurst.

We've had people in this world who probably need some guidance. Yeah we could believe in everyone having personal freedom to do and be however they like, but then wtf stops people like Hitler? We SHOULD try to impose our beliefs on people who would otherwise cause conflicts, simply because they can't function all otherwise. Society will never accept with a person who constantly causes problems and fights, and thus imposing our beliefs on such a person would be a favor to all the people surrounding that person and perhaps the person themself.
I'll go ahead and start by saying I don't ever agree with forcing your entire religion on another person. However, let's get real: people will always do this cause they're sure they're "saving" the other person. I said I think beliefs should be imposed onto a person if they're a problem/danger for society as a whole; well with religion, quite honestly, you can easily just cut out the parts you're not ok with but leave the others. If you know a Christian guy who believes in owning slaves or whatever cause the Bible says so, he can still believe in Jesus without owning slaves, so let him. As for everything else in general, or as for smaller parts of a religion...

There have been stupid arguments against cultures in the past, such as the Native Americans. It was argued that they were savages and we'd be doing them and the land a favor by taking over and imposing are beliefs. In my opinion, that's the same as saying "Dan's not so bright, so I'd be doing a favor to him if I beat him up and made him let me have a key to his Ferrari. I'd be doing a favor to him and his Ferrari, since he can't properly care for it."

There have been decent arguments, too. For instance, Saddam Hussein. Don't wanna make this political, but IN MY OPINION the dude had jack to do with 9-11. Did he do other bad things though? Well yeah he did. Does that give us the right to play the hero and stop him? Well... I dunno. This problem, I see as a neighbor situation. Maybe you see your neighbor verbally abusing his wife regularly or beating kids, and you think this is a travesty. Honestly, hitting your kids is no laughing matter, but at the same time, is it ok to go through the neighborhood, snoop into EVERYONE'S business and report them until they're forced and/or harrassed to live by your house rules? Not really. You may hate it and disagree with what your neighbor does, but I dunno if forcing your beliefs on him is so great either. It may not be ideal that the children are beaten, but the children are still capable of growing up and developing their own, reasonable beliefs. (no I'm not saying beating children is ok btw. Was just an analogy. :U )

Then there's situations where I think you should. And the example that I have on my mind is, of course, women in the muslim world. They're practically enslaved. The male population of many muslim countries has them completely under their control, in some countries the situation being so ridiculous that a woman could be beheaded if she tries to report being raped and doesn't have AT LEAST ~5 male witnesses (and then she still might lose and be beheaded). Situations like these, you gotta ask yourself if this is really ok.
Above I said you should impose beliefs on people who can't function in society otherwise, (as a cultural example, this could be...let's say everyone else proves global warming, America refuses to believe it and pollutes away, so other countries are forced to impose their beliefs) and here I'm saying maybe you should impose it on people who impose their beliefs on others. EVERYONE should have the right and the chance to develop their own beliefs, and the way women are treated in parts of the muslim would, they don't have this chance. They're born, enjoy a life of getting the shit beat out of them, being forced to marry whoever and sometimes can't enjoy personal freedoms as simple as going outside alone. If they stray from the culture and beliefs imposed upon them from birth, they're killed.
Doubt anything will be done about this though, because that's a lot of countries who'd be called out if someone did try to take a stand against this.

But yeah, there's my opinion.
chiknstu

Default 09-30-2010, 05:19 AM
Well.. I see it, that in the end someone will always be exploited. And even if it looks perfect, nine times out of ten you've been played by the powers that be.
« Flyff World > World Community > Debates »